Our branch caters for music teachers in the Illawarra region, which extends from Nowra in the south to Helensburgh in the north. Throughout the year we run many activities which are of benefit to both students and teachers, including:
- Students’ concerts twice a year at two separate Illawarra locations. These concerts provide valuable performance practice for students of all levels and abilities and are very popular.
- Junior Music Festival in November each year.
- Our past Pre-exam workshops, under the guidance of an experienced examiner and music educator, have been an invaluable resource for teachers and students. We are hopeful of reinstating these workshops as well as holding a diploma workshop and concert for students preparing for diploma examinations.
- HSC workshops in performance, musicology and composition are held annually.
- Sponsorship of piano and instrumental sections of the Wollongong Eisteddfod and Shoalhaven District eisteddfod.
- Subsidised professional development courses for Illawarra members.
- Members’ social get-togethers which provide a wonderful opportunity to share teaching experiences as well as to enjoy the company of colleagues.
If you would like to know more about the MTA of NSW Illawarra Branch, please contact branch president Meryl Jackson-Kew on the email address below.
President: Meryl Jackson-Kew OAM
Vice President: Elaine Davis
- Bergrid Ferriera
- Samantha Hobson
- Helen Barker